Monday, March 19, 2012

Creativity

My little 3rd grader is learning times tables. Slowly. It's been a bit of a process. I had a system that worked well for me when I was a kid, so I set it up every week to help Em learn. I involves flash cards and saying them out loud and self-testing. I'm fairly proud of it. The funny thing is Emma wasn't learning them as well as I did with that method. So finally, when we got to the 12's I let her come up with her own method.


How cool is that? It's a "pup" with little post-it's hiding the answer to the facts she has to memorize. So she can self test. I wish I had let her come up with something for all the other numbers too. One part of motherhood I'm still working on is letting the kids come up with their own creative solutions instead of controlling the "how" they get to necessary "what" we have to accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment