Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rest

Sunday mornings are now a quiet and restful time because we are part of a church that meets on Sunday evenings at 5pm. I wasn't sure how I would like that when we started, but at this point, I'd be really pushing myself to get back to Sunday morning church, although if my church ever goes to Sunday mornings, I'll whine in my head and get on board. So in keeping with the relaxation theme, I'm quoting a beautiful verse that I have come to love more and more as I walk with Jesus:

Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. (Mt. 11:28-29)


Resting in Jesus does not mean we are always lounging around in pajama's and swinging in hammocks with a glass of sweet tea (although, this sounds quite nice and perhaps I will spend a good bit of time in heaven doing that very thing). It does mean we get to quit striving. No more trying to earn love or acceptance, no more trying to impress others, no more trying to prove you have worth by racking up a great career, or perfect yard or perfect kids. And once we quit all that striving, well, a lot of times the meaningless busyness goes away with it. As a mom, a lot of my frantic activity of earlier years had to do with getting people to like me or be impressed with me. Perfect birthday parties for my boys, that I nearly killed myself "throwing together". Housework at all hours of the night so my home always looked picture perfect. Reading lots of parenting magazines so I would already know what the right or wrong car seat, toy, nutrition was- before anyone had to tell me. Attending every single church related event, so people would know I was involved and cared about them. (Exhausting)

When I began to understand resting in Jesus, lots of this nonsense evaporated. I'd love to say all of it, but that's not true. I still sometimes overcommit to make sure people will like me. At least now I see it and take all that to Jesus so I can lay it back down. It's a process, learning to rest in total love and acceptance. I do find that mostly my activity is purposeful now. That I am able to say no to things that do not serve my family or me well, and yes to things that are living out my mission to make Jesus famous. And blissfully, I actually have the ability to sit on a beautiful Sunday and enjoy this life that Jesus died to give me. (Refreshing)

Off to refill my coffee and hug on my early morning riser and prepare a yummy Sunday lunch. Hope you all find some rest today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment