Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chef Hat- Italian Shepherd Pie

I have never been a fan of traditional Shepherd's Pie. It's always seemed a little bland to me. However I came across this recipe a year or so ago, and after modifying slightly, I have a new "all family" favorite. (And if you're a mom, you know those are the keepers!)

Italian Shepherd Pie

1 pkg. Perdue Sweet Italian Sausage (casings removed, and browned)
1 can petite diced tomato
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp.oregano
Can you tell I shop at Kroger?

The aroma of this little combo is heavenly....

After browning the sausage, add the tomato's and spices and turn to low, cover and let simmer while you prepare the potato part. 

2 packages Idahoan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato's
8 oz Italian blend shredded cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
(optional) French Fried Onions (this add additional flavor/fat- sometimes I do, sometimes I don't)

Prepare potato's according to package directions. Add cheese and spices and stir until melted. Pour meat mixture into 9x13 glass baking dish and top with potatoes. Cover and bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. If desired, uncover and top with french fried onions for 5 additional minutes.

You can use plain potatoes and add garlic powder to alter for gluten-free diets
The potatoes are really thick, and this makes enough for a family of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment