Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August 2nd

Tomorrow, August 2nd, is one of the more important days in my life every year. It is the day God gave life to  the little baby boy who would one day grow up to be the other half of my heart. I could tell you so many stories of who he is and why God brought him to me, but here is one of my favorites:

When we began our dating relationship I was a broken, but hopeful, single mama. I had recently gone through the very painful process of divorce and was still a bit wary of trusting any man besides God. However I am not a cynic by nature so dating was fun and exciting, just a little scary. We met on-line before anyone did that sort of thing so we had been talking via computer for 6 weeks before we finally went on a date in person. During six weeks of talking we had covered a lot of ground. Family history, views on God and theology, football, past romantic relationship highs and lows- you know, all the stuff you talk about when beginning. One little fact he had shared was his toenails had fungus that he couldn't get rid of. I logged it into my brain, but really didn't think much of it. My thighs have cellulite I can't seem to get rid of either, so that's a wash. But, it must have been weighing more heavily on him, because we were in person on our first date weekend, and were stopping to sit on a bench by a lake when he took off his shoes. "There they are, you may as well see them now" as he pointed to his toes. I have to tell you, I think I might have fallen in love right then. Who does that? Throws off the mask and reveals their insecurities so casually on a first date? Not me back then, I can tell you. I had spent hours picking the perfect camouflage for my faults and failures. But he just sat there grinning. I know I laughed at him, and assessed the toes (so not a big deal, and just to report he took meds and got rid of that stuff later- he will want that piece shared!) but I think inside I knew this was the man for me. I needed someone who was willing to be honest, even if it was a risk. I needed someone confident enough in Christ to take risks, but humble enough to admit he wasn't perfect. And I needed someone to make me laugh. I had cried a river in the year before I met Scott. And I have laughed more in the 11 years we've been together than all the years before put together.


So Happy Birthday my wonderful husband! I am ever so grateful you were born, so that you could grow up to be mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment