Saturday, March 17, 2012

Being a grown up.....

So recently Emma asked me "Mom, what does it feel like to be grown up?"

That's an excellent question. I have only felt like a grown-up for about 3 years. It seriously took me until 35 to even feel like I was not just dressing up and pretending to be a wife, mom, counselor, etc. (Yes, that means I'm 38. Love 38. Have never understood why some women don't want anyone to know their age. I mean, I lived every single day of my 37th year and it feels like I earned the number 38. Maybe it's just me.) So, back to how does it feel to be a grown-up. Well, here are the things it means to me, thus far:

1. I know that I don't know everything, AND I feel fine about it.
2. I have passed the toddler years and have no diapers to change, and I feel fine about that.
3. I can talk with basically anyone without feeling too intimidated.
4. I am done shopping in teenage clothing stores and feel happy about it.
5. I can say yes, or no without guilt.
6. I feel happy about more and more time to enjoy my husband, as our kids develop their own lives.
7. I have occasional panic about my kids developing said lives.
8. I can let people be who they are without trying to change them or be the Holy Spirit for them.
9. I welcome God's work in my heart- it's really one of my favorite parts of life recently.
10. I dye my hair more frequently, take more vitamins, exersize for energy and tell the people I love, that I love them all the time.

So, there you have it. Grown up so far. Won't it be fun to see how it feels 10 years from now?
(me and my beautiful mom on my 38th birthday last year, when she and dad surprised me with a visit. NEVER too grown up to want your mom with you on your birthday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment